I’m not the type of girl who is into clothes that are heavily textured, printed or patterned. Instead I prefer keeping my sense of style very solid and minimal. However, once in a while you have got to buy that show-stopping item for your closet. It might be a risky buy at first, but it will surely turn heads when you walk by and that’s exactly how I feel about my ‘Alphabet’ statement skirt by South African designer Anisa Mpungwe for Mr Price.
This is one of the oldest item of clothing in my closet, almost a decade old and it is still one of the best and timeless pieces that I own in my wardrobe. I remember forcefully purchasing this skirt knowing very well that it did not fit me at all, but I told myself I’ll grow into it and alas I did. This skirt is so fun and vibrant that I’m sure it is going to be a winner piece for my wardrobe this coming Spring/Summer.
Outfit details: Velvet Top: Thrifted | Alphabet Skirt: Anisa Mpungwe x Mr Price
Accessories details: Shoes: Mr Price| Hat: Cotton On | Silver Bag: Studio.W | Rings: H&M
When it comes to rocking statement skirts whether it is embellished, frilly, sequinned or heavily patterned there are some key style tips that you can use to help you rock this stylish trend.
- Try pair the skirt with a minimal top, that won’t draw the attention away from the bold skirt. However, if you are person with a bold fashion sense opt to pair your statement skirt with complementing prints and patterns.
- A statement shoe can also work really well with a statement skirt to make the skirt stand out more.
- When rocking a midi statement skirt style it by adding a retro, light sweater to create a relaxed, yet dapper fashion outfit.
- To make your statement skirt look more chic and stylish add a blazer. It will create an overall full look.
- Add delicate accessories to your style. Don’t go over the top with your choice of accessories. Instead go for minimalist and sleek appearing accessories.
Statement skirts can be a challenging piece of clothing to execute. However, once you’ve found a way to master the trend you will definitely be on the way to making a fashion statement. Just remember that there are many ways that you can wear a statement skirt whether in the office, dinner or on a casual weekend day.
Photo credits: Shakes Photography